Archive for May, 2011

Inside the Controller

Monday, May 30th, 2011

I finally got some spare time and opened up the controller to see what I could see.
I have a clearer understanding of what most of the lines do – but still do not know where to hook up the accelerator pedal lines. There are 6 lines called “Function” that lead to KB5, KB6, KB7, KB8 and two unmarked inputs on the controller. Not much help there.
I also have a rough idea about the serial lines – three lines that are labeled “gorge line transmit, receive and place” which are hooked to T2OUT, R2IN and one unlabeled wire.

Front of the Controller

Wires from Front to Main Board

Wires from Front to Main Board

Rear of Controller

 

 

 

Delays in research

Thursday, May 26th, 2011

Sorry about the delays – had a week-long face-to-face meeting, compleate with a BBQ at my house and a dinner at a local restaurant. Busy busy busy. I really hope to have time this weekend for reviewing the motor.

Manual for Greatland Electric BLDC

Tuesday, May 17th, 2011

Ok, since people have been asking for it, I’m posting the manual, the canbus info and the torque curve.

Manual.

CANBUS.

Torque Data.

Hopefully this will work out for everyone.  Please go gentle on my server.

Kick Gas Club

Saturday, May 14th, 2011

After helping set up a plant sale at Balboa Park, my wife and I made a stop at the Kick Gas Club.  Neat little shop set up by a retired mechanic that specializes in helping people convert their car to electric drive.  The purpose was to see if they could help me with the motor adaptor (which they can’t right now), but they did give me some good ideas on how to proceed.

(BTW – if you are going to get a brand new motor – see if someone else has used it first and get their feedback before putting money into it).

The club can be found here:  http://kick-gas-club-electric-conversions.com/index.html

Charger isolation

Monday, May 9th, 2011

Over the weekend I added some isolation to the charger and removed the ground connections, so the charger is completely floating now (relative to ground). This was done by putting some ABS plastic under the charger, and trimming off the ground wires that attach to the charger.

I also replaced the BMS master board, as the feedback from the charger might have damaged it. Not sure what did damage the BMS, but it is working now.  I also had to turn the voltage down on the charger a bit – I suspect the voltage adjust knob is moving on its own.