Archive for September, 2010

New BMS board and all is (mostly) well

Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010

Thanks to the fine folks at KTA-EV, I have a new Elithion main board.  I still need to add some more EMI shielding (for the faults that occur during regen), but for the most part, it is working well.

Now I need to figure out why the GFCI is tripping when charging. (Hint:  probably had to do something with switching the house over to the underground power).  Will keep you posted.

Argh! More problems with BMS

Thursday, September 16th, 2010

While adding EMI shielding to some of the comm wires, I accidentally dropped one of the wires with exposed shielding onto the battery pack.  Nice little spark, but now all but 1 of the banks are not reporting.  *sigh*

So now I’m talking to the Elithion support person to see what I should do next (other than pull my hair out).

Still Getting Bank Comm Faults

Thursday, September 9th, 2010

During a test drive I found that I am still getting bank communication faults with the BMS.  Specifically banks 3,6, and 7.  In order to help solve this, I’ve found some wrap-around EMI insulation in McMaster-Carr.  We’ll see if that solves the communication issue.

Loose Battery Posts

Tuesday, September 7th, 2010

Well, I was warned, and I forgot.  I was reminded again, and lo and behold – there were loose battery posts.  3 of them.

So, I tightened them up, and charged the batteries, and sure enough – the BMS fault during charging is now gone.

Next step is to take Sparky driving and see if the acceleration also causes faults – I sure hope not.