The kit I’ll be using for this project is available from Electro Automotive. It contains an AC motor, controller, battery racks, cables, and heavy-duty suspension. This is a bit lazy on my part, but I wanted to have most of the guesswork out of the way on this first project.
What’s interesting (to me) is that it requires the use of old-school 8 volt batteries. The kind that requires constant topping off with water. I asked why not use the newer sealed batteries, and the reply was, “You could, but you would get greatly reduced range and amperage.” Good enough.
Some other projects are looking into state-of-the-art (i.e. ultra expensive) lithium-phosphate batteries. These don’t explode, unlike lithium-ion batteries. They also cost around $2000 per battery. Ummm….don’t think I’ll go that route any time soon.
I ordered the kit on July 10 (mailed the check), so I can expect the kit to arrive within the next two months. The long lead time is due to the fabbing of the battery boxes. The motor and controller will drop-ship from Azure Dynamics. The other parts will ship from Felton to me as they become available.